This district hospital has 120 inpatient beds. Specialties include surgery, internal medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, orthopedics, pediatrics, opthamology, and a 3 bed "high care" unit. There are 13 full time medical staff and part time specialties. There is also a busy casualty and outpatient department. Hospital doctors also assist with community work at local health care clinics.
The hospital is located in Somerset West, 40 minutes away from the center of Cape Town. Somerset West, where the accommodations are, is nearby the historic town of Stellenbosch is a 15 minute drive away. This student town boasts street cafes, eateries, pubs, clubs, etc. It is a 1 km (10 minute) walk from the accommodations to the hospital.
As a GeoVisions volunteer it is possible to:
- Volunteer on a rotational basis within the following departments: Trauma, Medical, Surgical, Pediatrics, Neonatal, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Operating Theater, Outpatient, Radiography and Casualty.
- Volunteers will rotate between the different departments in order to create a rewarding and diverse experience, especially for participants making career or study decisions.
- All participants are able to job shadow and learn extensively from doctors across the departments. Volunteers will assist with non invasive patient care including duties including cleaning of patients, grooming, feeding and nursing of babies. Other duties may include blood pressures, temperatures, dressing of wounds and assistance of patients.
- Participants may also be asked to assist with activities that benefit the day to day running of the hospital inlcuding filing, walking patients, errands for doctors/nurses, restocking suppied and possibly even general maintenance or outside beautification work.
- Participants studying medicine, nursing, pharmacy in college may have additional medically related responsiblities based on their level of study and individual skill.
What You Get For Your Program Fee
- Personalized Volunteer placement in South Africa, based on your skills and interests, including all the coordination, in-person visits and communication necessary with the local organization.
- A comfortable, safe place to live in Cape Town. This is a fully furnished house in the seaside town of Fish Hoek, with a cook and cleaner.
- Voucher card for breakfast redeemable at the nearby supermarket to buy basic breakfast items. Volunteers buys other groceries and prepare their own meals.
- Transportation from the airport Cape Town International Airport to your accommodations.
- An experienced U.S. based GeoVisions Program Manager who will serve as your coordinator and liaison with our in-country staff in South Africa.
- Professional, locally-based staff to provide orientation, supervision and guidance throughout your stay.
- Extensive medical, accident and dental insurance along with emergency evacuation insurance, applicable to GeoVisions' participants worldwide.
- Important documents, including in-depth pre-departure packs, orientation information, and all in-country informational materials.
- A toll-free 24-hour emergency hotline in the U.S.