Teach English In Myanmar With GeoVisions
Frequently Asked Questions | More About Myanmar | History | Climate
English Proficiency | Religion and Culture
Why Is There A Placement Fee?
Over the years we have met teachers who have had horrible experiences when they think they are going into a fantastic overseas teaching job only to find out they are not going to a real school, but a corporate school and not a true International school. They have been caught in a signed contract without having visited the school or met the administrators. Where do they turn without a support team who's only job is to look out for you?
At GeoVisions, we have pre-screened the school and the position and in most cases, we have placed teachers at that school before. We make sure you're being paid the highest salary possible. We provide a formal orientation, starting when we pick you up at the airport in Bangkok. We'll take care of your first week's accommodation. You will meet other teachers just like you the day you arrive. Attend our BBQ on the beach and start enjoying the GeoVisions safety net immediately. We help you with your visa, your formal documents and we make sure your new school is ready to receive you. In fact, if your placement doesn't work out, we will move you to another school.
This is a full time teaching position.
You may apply at anytime during the calendar year and we accept applications each month throughout the calendar year. The peak hiring season is March through September. This is a paid position with a salary of US$800-$1,200 per month. (Highly qualified teachers can earn up to $1,800 per month.) Host institutions provide assistance in finding comfortable accommodations. The cost of living in Myanmar is relatively low. The salary may not seem particularly high in Western terms, but it is good in local terms and wages.
About The Salary
The salary range in Myanmar is USD $800 to $1,200. If the teacher is extremely qualified, then they could earn up to USD $1,400. But they have to pass a probation period in which they earn USD $800 per month, then they get an automatic increase to $1,000 or more, depending on ability and credentials.
Why Teach In Myanmar?
Go beyond the beaten path and experience Myanmar. Be part of history being made as this country slowly changes and it becomes a hotspot for adventure travelers. But still notice the "old ways". There is much less technological development in Myanmar. People still travel by horse and buggy, bicycles and trishaws rather than by car. Cell phones and ATMS are rarities. GeoVisions' Teach in Myanmar program allows you to live and work in this most interesting country while helping to improve the English skills of local children and experiencing and engaging in an important cultural exchange. You will find a rich culture built upon a fascinating history”.
Making the decision to travel abroad is among the most exciting and adventurous moments one can have in a lifetime. Naturally, along with this decision may come questions and concerns, which is completely normal and understandable. It is important to know that you are not alone with these questions. Many others who have left their home and their country behind in order to explore the unknown, discover new cultures and make a community impact through the gift of teaching English have all had to take this initial plunge. We have recently launched a Teach Myanmar program that offers participants a sustainable adventure as a paid English teacher in this exotic and beautiful land, and also makes a positive impact on the lives of the local people.
The Myanmar program is open to degree holders only. It is also a requirement that participants possess a 120-hour, internationally accredited TESOL or TEFL.
Program Requirements And Responsibilities
- Applicants must be open to placement throughout all regions of Myanmar.
- Applicants must be in good mental health.
- Applicants should be at least between the ages of 21 and 45 years of age.
- Applicants must have a 120-hour TESOL/TEFL and also participate in the onsite orientation program.
- Foreigners who work in Myanmar must hold a “Business Visa” which allows them to stay in the country for 10 weeks at a time. Then they need to leave the country to Thailand to renew their visa and reenter Myanmar.
- The school may help pay for the visa trips to Bangkok (They usually have teachers fly to Bangkok via AirAsia and they can get reimbursed for the trip), but not all schools will do this.
- Applicants must be native English speakers and hold a valid passport from one of the following native English speaking countries: United States, United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, or Ireland.
- Teachers will teach English in a classroom setting, working to improve students listening and speaking skills.
- Teachers will prepare in-class activities focused on language development such as dialogues, games, pronunciation and grammar activities, songs, role-playing and conversation groups.
- Plan lessons and presentations to your class.
- Attend some faculty meetings.
- Help plan and implement some extra-curricular activities (after-school English clubs, art projects, sporting activities etc.)
- Teach Monday through Friday, 20-25 hours/week.
Please note: If an applicant does not meet the requirements for age, having a degree, or any of the other requirements, but we consider them a good fit, then their application may be considered for the program.
Teachers with an Education degree or teaching qualification in their home country will be hired much more easily than those who do not (and it is also possible that they could earn a higher salary based on their qualifications). Most applicants are accepted within about 3 weeks of making application to GeoVisions.
Applicants not taking the TESOL course can receive their conditional school assignment prior to departure. Upon arrival in Myanmar, teachers will meet with the school for a formal interview.
GeoVisions has screened all jobs and schools and provides all of the benefits listed below for the Program Fee:
- $800-$1,200 USD / month, but can be up to $1,800 USD if highly qualified.
- Business Visa Sponsorship.
- Provide Air flight tickets to return home 1 trip/year (optional depending on school).
- The program sponsor in Myanmar will assist in finding accommodation, but teachers pay their own rent. Rent is generally between USD $250 and $350 per month, exclusive of electricity and water. Accommodation is fairly basic. In some instances internet is provided in accommodation costs, in other instances it must be purchased separately.
- Contract: 1 year renewable. Participants can sign on for shorter periods but this must first be discussed with GeoVisions.
- Paid holidays – approximately 15 public holidays.
- 10 paid vacation days.
- A week of training during orientation, to be prepared for your teaching assignment before you ever reach your school.
- 5 day orientation in Yangon, Myanmar.
- An experienced U.S. based GeoVisions Program Manager who will serve as your coordinator and liaison with our in-country staff in Myanmar.
- In-country basic language assistance.
- Professional, locally-based staff to provide orientation, supervision and guidance throughout your stay.
- Extensive medical, accident and dental insurance along with emergency evacuation insurance.
- Important documents, including in-depth pre-departure packs, orientation information, and all in-country informational materials.
- A toll-free 24-hour emergency hotline in the U.S.
- Premium online membership at the ESL-Lounge.
- Daily living advice.
- A 12 month contract with a screened school.
- Airport pickup in Yangon is provided if you arrive no more than 4 days before the start of orientation. Pick up is not provided if you arrive late for the program.
- TESOL courses are provided for an optional fee.
Like our Facebook page and begin the conversation now. Also, check out our Online Community and read our teacher's journals, view their photos and watch their videos. You can even be one of the first to head on over to the Myanmar Group on the Community Pages and participate in what's happening with our teachers in Myanmar right now! This is a new group, so we need all the help on that page that we can get!