COVID TRAVEL ALERT: 25 May 2021.
International travel to Australia is not permitted.
COVID Update on 14 June 2021:
Au Pairs may be permitted to arrive in Australia by February 2022 with the proper Working Holiday Visa. Applications for Au Pair may be made now, but no travel permitted until the visa is secure (check with visa processing times) and the borders are officially open. Hopefully by February 2022.
Becoming An Au Pair In Australia
Becoming an Au Pair in Australia is an affordable international educational experience that will enhance your resume through practical experience. And when you return home, imagine the kind of job you can get when you list this experience.
What do Au Pairs do? They take care of the children during scheduled hours. Help the children with their homework and assist in keeping children’s rooms and play areas clean. Prepare snacks and meals for the children, and drop them off or pick them up from school or activities. If this sounds like something you’d be really good at, then being an Au Pair in Australia is definitely for you.
With GeoVisions Foundation, your host family is screened carefully. In addition, you have the ultimate safety net … local coordinators in Australia you can call on anytime. All of this to ensure you have a safe, comfortable environment and that your host family is a suitable host. Receive a clear set of guidelines and expectations that are set with your host family. Through monthly meetups, make new friends with other au pairs during your time in Australia. Don't take your chances on a host family that has not undergone any screening. GeoVisions Foundation provides a supportive network of agencies and other au pairs nearby.
How Long Can You Stay?
Because of the visa, you must stay in Australia for 6 months minimum and 12
You will need to get the Work and Holiday visa (US citizens) working holiday visa (Canadian citizens). To read up on current fees and requirements, use the link we have provided. The cost of this visa is not included in the program fee. If you're from outside the USA or Canada, you can read up on the qualifications of each country for this visa.
Your Work and Holiday Visa is valid for 12-months. You can work as an au pair for six months and then find a different kind of job for the other six months after you get to know Australia.
We have families available year-round.
Eligibility And Fees
You must meet a series of requirements established for most all au pair positions. In addition to that, you must meet the Working Holiday Visa requirements, set forth by the Australian Government.
- Be between the ages of 18 and 30. (Female Au Pairs are placed quickly, while male Au Pairs can take a bit longer to be placed.)
- Have previous childcare/babysitting experience with references and a genuine love of children.
- Commit to a minimum of 6 months as an au pair.
- Provide a medical statement and a background check.
- Be interviewed by phone or Skype to be accepted by the family.
- Hold a passport so that you are able to obtain the Working Holiday visa 462 (US citizens) or the Working Holiday Visa 417 (Canadian citizens). This visa allows you to live and work in Australia legally.
What Will I Earn?
The average monthly stipend is $800 AUD for between 28-40 hours of childcare per week. If you stay six months, you'll pocket around $5,000 USD. Obviously, if you stay a year you'll earn double that. Remember ... your visa is good for one year. Be an au pair for six months, then you can work anywhere else in Australia if you want and possibly earn a lot more.
Before you arrive in Australia, you will receive a timetable with duties and working days/hours, so you know exactly the working time. The family must respect your time off. Should the family require you to work outside the usual working hours this must be agreed upon by both sides and any extra hours worked must be paid.
Usually, au pairs are provided two days off per week. Some families provide 1½ days off but that information will be provided in advance. (Plan to provide one weekend evening per month to watch the children.)
- Your placement with a screened host family.
- A private room and full board. In addition to your monthly stipend, you're getting your room and board free.
- The possibility to use the family’s car.
- In-country support.
- An end of program bonus from the host family, for qualified au pairs:
- 6-month au pairs receive $500 or 1-2 weeks additional pay at the end.
- 12-month au pairs receive $500 and 1-2 weeks additional pay. You may also choose 4-weeks of paid holiday as your bonus.
- Pre-departure assistance.
- Monthly au pair coffee group and occasional special events.
- 24-hour support while abroad.
- Most families will pick you up at the airport.
What's Not Included
- Your international flights.
- Visa costs.
- Meals when you travel or go out on your own.
- Spending money for personal expenses, when you travel, or optional activities.
- International insurance with 24-hour emergency assistance services.
If you're ready to make your application and pay your program deposit of $350, take a look at the Application Process and then click the red button below.
- Submit the online application along with the deposit.
- You'll receive a link for a supplemental form and additional materials to submit.
- We work with our partner in Australia to match you with a well-screened host family.
- We'll email you the host family information. Then set up a skype call with the host family for your interview.
- Once you and the host family agree that it's a good match, you and the family arrange the exact arrival and departure date.
- Find and purchase your flights.
- Arrange your international health insurance.
- If you need a visa, please arrange for your visa.
- Fly to Australia and begin your au pair program and cultural experience!
Click the red button below to:
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the process?
Can I choose my location?
What if I don’t like my placement when I arrive or I have host family issues? Can I move?
Can I be placed with someone? I’d like to travel with a friend.
Will I be a part of the family or an employee?
Should I become an au pair?
Can't I use a matching site?
Are there Blog posts about being an au pair in Australia I could read?
"I had the best experience in Australia living and working as a nanny I loved it so much I am currently trying to move out there permanently on a skilled working visa.
My family was amazing and the staff with GeoVisions offered so much support and guidance I want to do it again or try another program!
"Going across the Sydney Harbor Bridge for the first time in the early morning and catching a glimpse of the Sydney Opera House. I wanted to travel and continue to work as a nanny, GeoVisions gave me a way to do that.
I have my own room and share a bathroom with the kids, I can use the cars for outings with the kids, and am also provided pocket money and three meals a day.
"I have been in Australia for nearly 3 months now, and I am so happy with my decision to come! GeoVisions has been wonderful throughout the entire process.
Both my sister and I had applied for placements in New Zealand and then decided that we also wanted to go to Australia first. Because they had a few host families available GeoVisions helped us to get everything set up, and not only found us both families but found them in close proximity to each other (though not always guaranteed).
I have really enjoyed my experience with my family, and so has my sister. There have been no major problems, and the children and host families have been absolutely lovely!
The people at GeoVisions have kept in contact with us the entire time that we have been here as has the partner in Australia. The people that I have gone through were Ann Sherer, Rebecca LeGrant, and Melynda Davis. Every month I have received an email checking in on how we are doing as well as asking if there is anything that we would change about the program. All of them have made this experience so much easier! I would highly recommend using GeoVisions, and I certainly will be again very soon.
"Australia is a dream come true, and it's going great! This is SUCH a great program, I'm really glad that I chose it and I'm thankful for the assistance you guys constantly provide."
"My friends at home are constantly asking me if I am out seeing everything I came here to see. I always say yes and no... because I have already seen a lot, but have a lot left on my list to see.
Many people go 'aw that sucks I hope you see everything!' But this experience has been so amazing that even though I have not seen everything I want to see, I am so happy where I am and very comfortable with my host family!
That said, I have seen the Newcastle beaches many times, and have been up to the Hunter Valley where my host family is moving, but there are also beautiful vineyards and many Kangaroos.
I recommend this program highly. I'm finding myself a little more each day and the program lets me do that. And I still have 5 months left, and it's exciting to think about who next I'll meet.
Request More Information - Opportunities For You
This experience will look great on your CV or Resume.
There are no official "start dates." You can set your dates up with your host family in advance. Age range is 18+
years we have been sending au pairs to Australia
Learn More From Our Alumni